Thursday, February 5, 2009

Promise Guitar


This is the third guitar I started, back around 1980. I had finished a jumbo flat-top, and a large arch-top. I had been well bitten by the guitar bug, and was anxious to move along. I was aware of the shortcomings of my first two, and, as I remember, wanted to back up and work slowly. I had Irving Sloan's "Classical Guitar Construction" and "Steel String Guitar Construction", so I was confident I could overcome any obstacle.

I had joined the sides to the neck, using the traditional Spanish foot, when the obstacle came out of left field. In 1981, I quit my job, and after several frustrating interviews decided to work for myself. I considered franchises, and several other things. I finally decided on woodworking, since I had my Dad's machines and a two-car garage that would serve as a shop. I briefly considered guitarmaking, but realized I had more experience with furniture than guitars.

The incomplete guitar sat on a shelf or hung on the wall in the New Jersey and Virginia shops until around 2002. In the next few years I added the back and top to the sides, and prepared the fretboard. Other guitars have pushed ahead of it in the line, but it is a very patient guitar. It knows the first two guitars are in landfills, so that makes it the living grandfather of everything I have and will build. It has my promise of completion.

No comments: