Sunday, June 1, 2008

Duplicating Router

A lot of my work at LL Guitars these days involves creations above and beyond the guitars themselves. In 2000, I began work on a duplicating router for arched plates. I have been refining the original concept since then.

The first guitar built with the use of this machine was the 2007 Hollowbody Electric. At the time, I only had a pattern for the outside of the plates, so I had to complete the inside of the plates by hand.

(T to B: pattern for inside, and the roughed out plate)

Time at this machine (to complete a plate) is currently about two hours. That includes a lot of stopping, starting, and careful checking. Even at two hours, though, the amount of time saved when completing an arched plate is astronomical, compared with using a hand-roughed technique! I eventually anticipate being able to save even more time on each plate, as I continue to fine-tune the details.

.............................................

This machine was custom-made by luthier Paul Lloret of LL Guitars (pronounced “Double L Guitars”). For more information on Paul Lloret and his guitars, contact LL Guitars.

No comments: